Are you an upcoming influencer? Then surely you want your presence to be felt on Google. Apart from waiting for folks to write about you and hoping that your social media pages show up in search results, there is also one other thing that you can do, and that is to create your own Google profile card.
Your Google profile card will help you to get discovered online whenever someone searches for your name. Let’s dive into it.
What is a Google profile card? | Create your Profile Card
Have you ever searched for someone and found their name along with. And other relevant information shows up in your search in a compact form at the top of the page? Profile cards are exactly that. You can make your presence felt online by filling out your profile card on Google.
After you have created your profile card, anytime somebody searches for you, he or she will be shown your profile card at the top of their search results. This will make it easier for them to avail of your services as well as receive all the information that they need about you.
Subsequently, you can also use your profile card to monitor the amount of information. That is going public and curb down on details that you do not want to be public.
But there are still a few bare minimum details. That you will need to fill out in order to make your own Google profile card. Read on to know how to start this.
You will need a few things before you start with your Google profile card. These mainly include:
- A Google Account
- A PC or mobile device
Now make sure that you either have a mobile browser installed on your device. Or go ahead and download the ‘Google Search’ application from your wished marketplace.
Enable Search Activity | Create your Profile Card
Once you have set up your browser or Google application, go to settings and make sure that ‘Web & App activity’ is turned on. If you are not aware of this setting then follow this simple guide to turn it on.
Note: Make sure that you are signed in to your Google account on the device before you go any further.
Using the browser on your PC or mobile device | Create your Profile Card
- Open your browser and visit ‘Google.com’.
- Tap on the menu icon in the top left-hand corner and then select ‘Search activity’.
- You will now see a page that has ‘Web & App Activity’ as the top option. Tap on it and turn on the toggle switch that you find on the webpage.
Note: If the page says ‘Web & App Activity is on’ then you do not need to follow Step 3.
Using the Google Search application | Create your Profile Card
- Open the Google search application on your device and tap on ‘More’ in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Select ‘Search activity’ and wait for the web page to open.
- Tap on the tab that is titled ‘Web & App Activity’ and make sure the toggle on the next page is turned on. If it does not then turn it on by sliding to the right.
Web & App Activity should now be turned on, on your mobile device.
Note: Having a mobile device is a necessity as Google does not support the creation of profile cards on desktop browsers yet.
How to create a profile card on Google? | Create your Profile Card
To create your own profile card, follow this simple step by step guide. Make sure that you have fulfilled all the requirements before going any further.
- Open the Google search application or visit this page in your mobile browser.
- Search for your name on Google and tap on ‘Add yourself to Google’ at the top of your search results.
Note; If this option is not available for you, then you cannot create a profile card right now. As this is not available for all users right now, it is fine if you do not see the option. Wait until Google enabled this for your ID.
- You will now be taken to a new web page. Tap on ‘Get started’ and start creating your profile.
Note: Google has minimum requirements before your profile card can be approved for search results. Filling out your name, location, occupation, and summary is obligatory for your profile card to go live.
- Once you have filled out all the relevant details, tap on ‘Preview’ at the bottom of your screen to get a visual of how will your profile look in search results.
- Once you are satisfied with your profile card, then you can hit the ‘Submit’ button.
What information should you add to your profile card? | Create your Profile Card
You should add all the relevant information about yourself that you would like to be public. You can also add your occupation, achievements, merits, profiles and much more. Make sure that the information is relevant to you and does not violate Google’s content policies.
To summarize, Google will not make your profile card go live if you are sharing misleading information, hiding your identity or providing wrong details in some sections of your profile. You will be notified for the first few times if you violate Google’s content policy.
What should you not include in your profile card? | Create your Profile Card
There are some of the things that you should avoid in order to keep in line with Google’s content policy. Below we have listed some of the don’ts. That you should definitely comply with to make sure proper publication of your Google profile card.
- Do not include fake or misleading information about yourself.
- Do not assign third party photos as your profile image. Your profile image should be a photo of yourself.
- Don’t represent any third-party organization using your profile card.
- Don’t try to advertise products or services via your profile card.
- Do not mention or attack other individuals using your profile card.
- Do not mention or attack other organizations using your profile card.
- Don’t mention or attack other groups or religious organizations using your profile card.
- Do not mention or attack other events or real-world issues using your profile card.
- Don’t promote hate towards any individual or organization.
- Don’t hurt religious sentiments.
- Do not include derogatory statements about third parties.
- Do not use comparative statements with other individuals or organizations in order to promote yourself.
- Don’t use profane or vulgar language in your profile.
- Do not violate any copyrights or property rights of other individuals.
- Do not use images/quotes that are not intended for your own use.
Can I promote myself or my business? | Create your Profile Card
Short Answer: No
Long Answer: Google’s content policy allows you to say your occupation as well as any other services. That you may offer in your profile section. But advertising yourself as a provider or promoting your own services is strictly prohibited using Google profile cards.
Use of tags and words like ‘best’, ‘cheapest’ or ‘the only’ will surely get you flag via Google and you should definitely avoid it.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and find it helpful to you. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly
Have a Great Day!