Ads-Block using Private DNS: Google launched different new features with Android 9 Pie. These features include an adaptive battery, adaptive brightness, app actions, and much more. However, there is one specific feature, called Private DNS a.k.a DNS over TLS. We think that it is one of the most underrated features of Android 9 Pie. With DNS over TLS, you can change or connect to a different DNS on your Android phones easily. In our guide, we will use the Adguard DNS to block ads and popups on your Android devices natively.
How does Adguard DNS work?
Adguard is one of the most popular AdBlocking tools that are available across platforms. It is available for Windows, Android, Linux, and more. Here in this guide, we will show you how to make use of Adguard DNS to keep your device safe from unnecessary ads, popups, and more. So after setting up all your queries will be sent to the specific DNS and it will filter out any or all the ads and popups from the source. This is similar to how Adblock browser extensions work.
The major reason for using this feature is that you get rootless systemwide ad-blocking on your Android devices. Meaning, once you set up, all your apps, and browsers will be clean from ads and be served under adblockers. Unfortunately, you cannot change the host’s files. Meaning, you cannot choose the URLs you want to block.
Generally, to block ads on Android, your device either need to be rooted or use a VPN like a Blockade too. But we all know how VPN certainly be memory hogging and a battery drainer. So this is the best solution.
How to setup Adguard DNS with Private DNS over TLS in Android 9 Pie?
Ads-Block using Private DNS
Make sure all the queries will be redirected or served under Adguard DNS. So for your privacy purpose, simply read their privacy policies. Or you can also use BLAH DNS as an alternative. Also, remember that this guide only works on devices running Android 9.0 Pie or later and tested working on Samsung Galaxy S9 with One UI.
- Note that your device is running Android 9.0 Pie or later.
- Now, go to Settings > Network & internet settings > Private DNS.
- For Samsung Galaxy devices go to Settings > Connections > More connection settings > Private DNS
- Or simply search Private DNS from the settings search bar.
- Input the complete string which resolves to the particular DNS. You cannot use numbers. Use any one of the following.
For Adguard DNS: (normal):
For Adguard DNS: (Family protection – non-adult stuff):
Blah DNS: (an alternative hobby project)
- Click on save and enjoy
- You can also reboot the device if you like.
- Read for Chrome not blocking Ads
Fix Chrome for Android not blocking Ads
Ads-Block using Private DNS
Due to some changes in the Chrome browser, the browser seems to bypass the DNS. Making the DNS Adblocker obsolete. You simply need to change the flag.
- Simply launch the Chrome app.
- Then enter the URL “chrome://flags”, without quotes, into the address bar.
- You’ll see a new window having many flags.
- Now search for “DNS”.
- Set the “Async DNS” option to “Disabled” and close the tab.
You will also need to clear the DNS cache.
- Enter the link “chrome://net-internals”, without quotes, into the address bar.
- Choose the DNS tab, and tap on “Clear Cache”.
- Restart Chrome.
This should fix your problem with Ad-Blockers.
How to setup Adblocking DNS at the WiFi router level?
For a completely secure network, you need to set up DNS over the WiFi router. See the instructions given below.
- Connect to your WiFi router.
- Now enter your router’s IP address in your browser. Usually
- Input username and password to log into your router. This information may be labeled on the router itself.
- In your router’s configuration page, locate the DNS server settings. Usually under Network > Advanced.
- Write down any existing DNS server entries for future reference.
- Replace or add the following DNS addresses:
220.127.116.11for “Family protection”
- Now save your settings, then restart your browser and router as well.
- Now visit your favorite website and see if it works or not.
You must follow the above-mentioned instruction carefully and if you still find any difficulty then let us know in the comment section below!